John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
18914223

My father has advanced Alzheimers and lives in a nursing home.

My father has advanced Alzheimer's and lives in a nursing home. He has no savings or property and all his income (pensions and social security) go to the nursing home. He has not filed taxes in several years. My husband thinks I should file his taxes for him. I think I should wait until receiving a bill and then call them and explain the situation if and then.
What is the right thing to do here? Thank you.
Expert:  John Legal replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! Thank you for your question.

Do you know how much income his pension and social security are?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes but I don't think I am comfortable posting the amounts in this public forum. If you simply need to know a less than more than I can provide that.

Expert:  John Legal replied 1 year ago.
Is it more than $25,000 annually?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  John Legal replied 1 year ago.
Diane,

A tax return should have been filled for the years that his income was over $25,000. By failing to file it is possible that the IRS will take his information and create a tax return for him. If there is a deficiency based on the created returns then they will send the notices to him for the tax years. Only your father is liable for the failure to file so you do not have any responsibility here. Given that he is sick, has no assets and in a nursing home there is really nothing that the IRS can go after if he did under pay. Further, given that your father's income is all going to the nursing home he will have an extensive medical expense deduction which means he will likely owe no tax.

With all that said, you are safe to just wait to see if the IRS generates a return with a deficiency in tax. However, you may want to see if he is having income tax withheld from his pension already. If he is then you may find that he is owed a refund for overpayment of tax due to the large Medical expense deduction for the nursing home payments.

I cannot provide you with legal advise. I have provided you with information about the law related to your question. My answer, and any information that you find online, should not take the place of having a consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

Please show your appreciation for my candid, accurate information by clicking VERY INFORMATIVE, OR the OR and positive feedback. You should only rate me if you are satisfied with the information I provided you. If you cannot rate me GREAT please do not rate. Give me a chance to make it right by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

I appreciate your question and repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with "Dear XXXXX..."

Thank you,

John Legal, Attorney
Experience: Over 15 years legal experience.