Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

IF AN APARTMENT COMPLEX OF 90 UNITS HAS ARULE STATING ALL ANIMALS

IF AN APARTMENT COMPLEX OF 90 UNITS HAS ARULE STATING ALL ANIMALS MUST BE REGISTERED AT ACOST OF 600 DOLLARS WHAT ABOUT A VISITOR WHO BRINGS A DOG INTO THE COMPLEX AND THE TEASON BEING SO THAT THE LITTLE OLD POODLE IS THERE TO GET A BATH ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK , THE OWNER OF THE APARTMENT IS BEING HARASSED IF I MAY USE THAT TERM , TO PAY A REGISTRATION FEE , AND A POSSIBLE PENALTY FOR VIOLATION OF THE RULES WHIC IS UNREASONABLE WHAT STEPS DO YOU ADVISE THE PERSON WHO IS SO KIND TO THIS LITTLE ANIMAL TO TAKE ? A FRIEND OF ANIMALS BRIAN
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Does the rule qualify the animals - - such as "all animals of residents" or anything else that would differentiate between a resident's animal and a guest's animal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe it requires all animals its an unresonable law or rule if applied to visiting situation of a time of a few hours to complete the clean up

there needs to be some wiggle room , don't you agree .is this discrimination?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Ok Brian, thanks. Give me a moment to do some research.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
It's not really discrimination because there's no protected class of individuals being excluded - - the only exception would be if the pet was a service animal for a disabled/handicapped person. However, the rule does seem unfair.

From what I've looked at and in my experience, the CCR's and bylaws ONLY pertain to a resident/member of the complex. Thus, someone who isn't a member can't be forced to pay a fine because they haven't agreed to it. However, the complex could prohibit any animals from coming onto the property IF they don't belong to a member - - that would be legal.

But, to say that if a friend's pet comes to your house a few days a month or so, a fee should be paid is a little over the top.

It sounds like the provision is ambiguous because it doesn't differentiate between a member's pet and a guest's pet, and that may be the way to try and get the rule amended. It's just like provisions that say if a person has a houseguest for over 30 days, there's a penalty or the person has to tell the guest to vacate, etc.

Thus, the rule would seem unfair and really unenforceable to non-members, BUT the member could get stuck with a fine for harboring a guest pet unless the rules are changed. The best course is likely to ask the complex board to amend/clarify the rule to address member and non-member pets.
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - I was checking in to see if you have any additional questions. If so, please let me know and I'll be glad to respond. Thanks.