Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

How would I go about finding out what company manufactured

How would I go about finding out what company manufactured a medicine that burned me in a recent hospital stay?
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 1 year ago.
Hello JACUSTOMER,

If you go to Drugs@FDA, you can type in the name of the drug, and it will give you various information about the drug including the company that manufactures it.

I hope this helps.

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went to the site and the drug I'm looking for did not come up nor did the manufactor's information. Is there another option?

Try this list: Full FDA Approved Drug List. Also note that many drugs have two names - it marketing name and its "real" name. Also make sure you have the spelling correct of the drug you are concerned about.

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's not on that list as well. Would I be able to obtain the exact medicine's name and manufactor's information through the hospital or my medical records?

Yes, your hospital/medical records would have the correct name of the medicine, but it would not have the manufacturer. You probably got the wrong name of the medicine from somewhere. So, I would definitely get a hold of your hospital/medical records for the correct name.

Good luck.

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would I be able to file a claim against the manufactor's of the medicine that burned a hole in my hand (about the size of a nickel and about 3 cm deep?

Possibly, if you can prove that the medicine was somehow defective or was improperly labeled. You could also potentially have a claim against the physician and/or hospital if the medicine was improperly prescribed, administered, or applied.

Thomas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I did settle with the hospital for the medicine being improperly administered, but I was told I could file a claim against the makers of the medicine. I didn't know that I could as I don't know if the medicine was defective or improperly labeled. I still don't know how would I be able to prove that either of those things happened (labeling or defective).

It is true that it might be difficult to prove that the medicine was defective. I would recommend that you seek a consultation with a products liability attorney (one who deals with defective drugs) in your local area to see if there have been any reports about the medicine you are concerned and to thus see if you can build a case against the manufacturer.

Thomas
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience: Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.