Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

In Las Vegas, can a hotel/casino mandate identification for

In Las Vegas, can a hotel/casino mandate identification for me to reenter my room after check in. I need a law/code reference for this
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 years ago.

Hello, and thanks for submitting this question. I'll be happy to assist you, however I need some clarification of the situation. Please explain the actual circumstances and conduct of the hotel security staff with regard to your attempt to reenter a room for which you have registered and are in possession of a key.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hypothetically, (the palazzo hotel) upon checkin I provided Federally issued and state issued identification and a credit card. They gave me a room key, aside from any agreement I signed. Is the hotel within their rights to request I show my room key before entering the elevator, or do I have a right to enter and exit the room I rented without further scrutiny?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 years ago.

Yes. The hotel has the right to do that. They do not have to permit everyone to enter the upper floors of the hotel, which can be classified as not being open to the public. Many new hotel elevators now require an electronic key card swipe before you can push the button for the floor that the key is for. Some entry and exit doors to hotels are electronically controlled to permit entry only to people with room keys. It is intended for the security of the guests and there is nothing in the law of Nevada which would make such security systems illegal. Without laws making this illegal, it is thus legal without any affirmative law making it so.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.