How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23662
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was fined (April 19) several thousand dollars and had

Customer Question

My son was fined (April 19) several thousand dollars and had his driver's license revoked (while unemployed) for driving a truck that (he didn't know) was uninsured. He was driving it to aid his son's bellicose step father move some items, in Clearlake. He can't pay, because he's unemployed. Losing his license imposes a further obstacle to employment (and payment). I suspect the penalty is excessive and designed to grow further fees, from late payment. I'm filing a complaint via Commission on Judicial Performance. I suspect a pattern of excessive penalties persists. We all know the government avoids hard work of fighting hard crime and prefers to punish humble people with extreme fees for petty deeds like this, which is why citizens distrust government. Can I demand a STOP PAYMENT period while instigating an investigation into patterns of punishment imposed by the Clearlake court?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately, no, you cannot demand any sort of stop payment period, because you are not the name on the ticket. Your son can request additional time to pay by calling the court and trying to negotiate with them. Many courthouses have payment plans that allow people to make payments over a set period of time. However, there is no law that allows him to insist that they not collect payment while he looks into a dispute.

If he were to file an appeal of the judge's decision, he could then file a Motion to Stay pending appeal. Just keep in mind that it's not automatic. Here is more information:

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I called the Court and they won't negotiate a payment plan. My wife and I have withdrawn our meager savings to pay this penalty. But I intend to do everything legal, political and newsworthy to shine a light on the bullying tactics of the Clearlake Court. What can I do to initiate an investigation into their punitive practices? I suspect a pattern is evident: that extreme fees are imposed on simple people for petty infractions. Meanwhile, crime runs rampant in Clearlake, as elsewhere, while police hassle the most humble people, and avoid genuine civic service. There must be a way to bring the weight of higher authority down on the Clearlake Court.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
These days, the best way to force a community to investigate something like this is public pressure. Inform the media, do an online petition, start a Facebook campaign. People live their whole lives on the internet, and it's a great way to reach hundreds of thousands of people. You may want to start with the city council or the local newspaper, but online petitions can also help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I found that in the State of California I can initiate a Complaint About A California Judge, Court Commissioner or Referee. Thus, the gist of my concerns was answered by my own on-line research. Your notes on social media are general answers that I am aware of, but may have little value in the rural (under-educated) context of Clearlake, where internet access is relatively limited. The issue of non-payment during my complaint period was also answered by my call to the Clearlake Courthouse. For these reasons, I think it's fair to say your legal advise was rudimentary and generic rather than connected specifically to the legal framework within which I can work here. I'm sorry to say that I don't believe I received $40 worth of legal counsel.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

I did not mention that you can file a complaint against a judge or provide you with the forms because you already said that you were doing that. It would have been redundant and suggested that I had not read your question. I answered your question, which was about stopping payment while the complaint was pending. You then asked about bringing public attention to this issue. A judicial complaint isn't going to get the type of public outrage you're looking for. The media will.

I answered the exact questions that you asked, which is what we do here. We work on the honor system, and I receive no compensation for my time when customers do not pay me for the work that I performed. I have no ability to control what research you do on your own or what questions you have that are not stated. I can only answer the questions that you ask.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23662
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.