Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

An ex friend who is an retired cop. lend me some money 7yrs

Customer Question

An ex friend who is an retired cop. lend me some money 7yrs ago. Plus giving me luxuries gift the ones I returned. Once I find out his intensions. So now after all this time first he told me I had to pay him for everything that he had giving me. I agreed to pay for the money he lend me although the amount that he claims is not correct. i dont remember how much it was it was along time ago. Plus he told me to pay it whenever. To make a story short he is suing me. What can I do.? I cant not pay this money right now. I leave in new york. I did not sign anything in regards XXXXX XXXXX last june he started txtng somehow he learned that the person i was seeing was no longer in the picture. when he realized that i didnt wanted to do anything with him not even friends he asked me to tell him when i was going to pay him he does have txt that state that. but now im not sure about the amount and isnt it too late for this ? is there anything I can do to postpone the court date ? or make this go away
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Have you made any payments on the loan?
.
If so, when did you last make a payment?
.
Did he give you the money in NY?
.
Has it been over 7 years since the loans were made?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello,

i haven't made any payments and yes in ny it was 7yrs ago. althought the txt of me telling me i was going to pay was last june

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the statute of limitations on an oral contract for the payment of a debt is only 6 years in NY. So this is well past that and if you use the statute of limitations as a defense, the person suing you will lose.
.
JA doesn't provide legal representation as that is beyond the scope of the services that they can provide. Although can't recommend anyone personally, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews. You would be looking for a civil litigation attorney to hire to represent you.

.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can i have someone represent me by a notarized letter? also can i go and state that the it has passed the statue of limitation ? lets say next week. should i get a lawyer? and even if he has a txt from me last june.?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Only an attorney can legally represent you in the case. But an attorney can file a motion to dismiss or for summary judgment based on the statute of limitations running and see if the judge will outright dismiss the case. You wouldn't necessarily have to be there for that motion and it might be resolved there. The problem would be if the plaintiff is alleging that he made the loans within the past 6 years. Then it would have to go to an actual trial and he would have to provide proof that it was not outside the statute of limitations.
.
And no, you can't just send in a letter alleging it is beyond the SOL and have it dismissed. It doesn't work that way. Both sides present their case in a trial and the judge then decides who wins. If it actually goes to a trial, you would have to appear in court even though you wouldn't have to say anything if you have an attorney.
.
The sooner you get an attorney on the case, the quicker he may be able to make this go away, especially if the plaintiff admits in his complaint that the debt is over 7 years old.
.
Even if you admitted the debt and agreed to pay it back, that would be a voluntary act on your part since you can't be legally compelled to repay it if it is over 6 years old.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im sorry one last question. he is suing me for $3500. how much is an attorney approx.? and also can he later come and sue me for gift he gave me ?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
I would opine that it would likely cost somewhere around $1200-1500 for an attorney to represent you. If he is suing you in small claims court, you don't have to have one, but that would mean that you would have to present your own case to defend. You might be able to countersue him for "malicious prosecution" for your attorney's fees because this looks like to me that it is a personal vendetta for you not wanting to be in a personal relationship with him.
.
And no, once a gift is given, the person who gives it forever gives up any rights to possession of the gift and can't sue for its return or for its value.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im sorry Barrfister,
If i decide to pay the $3500. do I still have to go to court?

I do owe it some monies not sure of the right amount I believe it was line 2,500 anyways i really dont want anything to do with this guy or see his face ever again.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
No, if you paid the $3500, then that would settle the claim and the plaintiff would have no grounds to continue on with the case. If you decide to go that route, make sure you get something in writing from the plaintiff agreeing to dismiss the case in return for the payment of the $3500 so he doesn't take the money and then continue on with the case.
.
But if you are considering settling, I would offer something less than the $3500 he is asking for and see if he would accept that to settle the case.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for me to write a check take it to court and have the clerk dismiss the claim? Also I know I am acting childish but is it ok if on the memo I write "money can buy everything but not everything is for sale.
I know it's silly but he is so pathetic it will give me a sort of satisfaction. ;)
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible for me to write a check take it to court and have the clerk dismiss the claim?
.
No, the clerk doesn't take payments in a civil case. It would have to be paid directly to the plaintiff to settle the claim.
.
And sure, you can write whatever you want to in the memo section...
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you so much for your help

have a beautiful night ;)))

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
.
.
Thanks