TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

may i file a 1981 claim in state court ( or for ohio the court

may i file a 1981 claim in state court ( or for ohio the court of common pleas )

Thank you for your question.

State courts have "concurrent jurisdiction" over federal law claims such as those under Section 1981.

So, yes, you may file a 1981 claim in state court.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your response. briefly could you list some pros and cons in filing in state court vs federal. my purpose is bc it will be easier and quicker to have my fee waiver waved in state court vs federal .. esp out here in ohio.

State court is going to be cheaper, quicker, and less burdensome than federal court. Federal court cases cost more, usually take much longer to get to trial, and have a lot more procedural hurdles which are time consuming and difficult to comply with as a lay person.