Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I have these soda caps that are suppose to have a code on them

I have these soda caps that are suppose to have a code on them to enter sweepstakes. The caps are unreadable because of the way they were manufactured. I contacted the soda company and told them about the problem, they want me to mail the caps to an address.

I there anything I should consider before mailing these caps.

In my email to the company I mentioned that if I had been able to read the codes that I might have won.

I would take photos of the caps, capturing as much of the code as you can. I would also make sure that when you mail them that you provide your complete contact info (name, address, phone number, email address) so that they can trace the caps back to you. I would also get a hold of the sweepstakes rules. I would also ask the soda company for a list of winning cap numbers, and the results of their reading of your soda caps when they are done with them. This is about all you can do at this point. The codes on your caps need to be read, and they have to provide those numbers to you. You can then compare your codes to the winning numbers.