Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in AZ and have sole custody of my children. Can I take

I live in AZ and have sole custody of my children. Can I take them on vacation to Mexico for a week without their father's permission? I know I can't leave the State for more than 10 days without his consent, but I don't have anything in my paperwork that specifically addresses leaving the country. I was able to get passports without his authorization by providing a copy of my divorce decree proving sole custody.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Do you have a court order on custody regarding removing the children from the country?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, there is nothing specifically ordered. The only thing ordered regarding custody is the check mark on the divorce decree saying I have sole custody. No other terms/stipulations were ever requested or granted.

Thank you for your response with the additional information.

If your sole custody order does not say anything about leaving the country, then as the sole custodian of the child you have every right to take the child where you choose on vacation without seeking permission or consent from the court or the other parent. You do not need to even notify the other parent as there is nothing in the order that gives him rights to participate in any decisions as you are the sole custodian.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”