LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 22 years.

Hi, I lived for 4 years with my boyfriend in Alaska. During

Customer Question

Hi, I lived for 4 years with my boyfriend in Alaska. During that time, I paid for the building of the cabin we both lived in. The property is in his name only. Upon my moving there, I paid for shipping my truck to Alaska, the title was in my name only but I added him to the title once in Alaska so we are both on it now.
After a very abusive relationship, I finally broke free and moved out pretending to go to work. I now cannot recover anything for the building of the cabin or mainly cannot get my truck back. Do I have any legal recourse?
Thanks so much for your input.
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Since both of your names are XXXXX XXXXX truck's title you have equal rights to possession and use of the truck. If you want to dissolve the joint ownership of the truck you would either need to work out an agreement with him where one party pays the other and the other takes title and possession of the truck. Based upon what you have described this does not seem likely. So your other option is file a lawsuit and ask the court to order the vehicle sold and then divide the proceeds between the two of you. If you are able to show that you contributed more to the costs of the vehicle you may be able to convince the court to award you a larger portion. Also being in court may prompt your former boyfriend into finally making an acceptable offer.

Your claim to recover anything for the building of the cabin is on less solid ground. Absent some sort of written agreement or document giving you some interest in the house you most likely will not be able recover anything. Has he ever indicated to you in email or letter that he would reimburse you for any contributions you made to building of the cabin? Do you have any evidence to support that contributions you made were considered loans that he is obligated to pay? If he has then you can use that as a basis to assert a claim for those amounts.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience: Practicing attorney licensed for over 22 years.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have emails from him saying he knows this is my truck. In the midst of many emails, I also have some that say he would make payments to pay me back $10,000 for the cabin.

His email stating that is it your truck can be used to argue that you are entitled to a larger share of the truck (100%).

Also his acknowledgment that he would pay you $10,000 could be considered an admission on his part that you are entitled to money for your contribution to the cabin and that the value of your contribution is $10,000.

$10,000 dollars in the maximum amount you can recover in small claims court in Alaska. Because the amount you would be seeking exceeds this, you should consider consulting with and having a local attorney represent you on this matter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

For LeagalEagle1: Thank you, one more thing. I did move to CA. If I was going to try to stay within the limits small claims in AK allows, would I need to fly to AK to do this or are there other ways?

For small claims it is very difficult to proceed without the party being present. You would need to have a lawyer the to represent you if you were not there. In civil division of the court you can use the discovery process and in many situations obtain a judgment based upon pleadings submitted to the court. You would want to use a lawyer to do this.