How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25037
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Today I am suppose to sign a marital agreement to finalize

Resolved Question:

Today I am suppose to sign a marital agreement to finalize our divorce. We have been married for almost 15 years and have 2 children ages 13 and 11. The father is a surgeon who grosses high 5 figures a month and has very little overhead. I received 4 figures in non modifiable alimony for the 10 years I will receive it, and because of him and his high priced legal team, received no child support. I am a 57 year old stay at home Mom and have been throughout our entire marriage. I also worked in his practice for 2 years without pay to help him build the practice. Even though we signed the original marital agreement in April, my attorney would not put into play his income for 2013, which by then was six figures. the other party wanted to settle out of court, I did not. In the last paragraph of the marital agreement there is a clause that states:

"The parties acknowledge and agree that they have provided the other financial affidavits meeting the requirement of Florida Law Rule 12.285, and that each has had the opportunity to review the financial affidavits and supporting documents of the other, and each is satisfied fully that s/he has sufficient knowledge as to the other's financial condition to waive any further disclosure."

I have stated numerous times I am not satisfied, it took him 10 months to disclose his financials, money was hid and money was spent to pay bills a year in advance knowing it would not count as income. They want me to disclose all the bills I pay in the future to make sure I don't fall behind.

What I would like your opinion on, is that in the future I would like to go back and ask for child support for our children and will signing this agreement with this paragraph, especially the last 5 words "to waive any further discloser" impede my future efforts?

Appreciate your assistance and time, Terry L
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hi Terry,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If that document says that you will not get child support, and you sign it, you will not get child support. You cannot go back later and request it. You cannot seek more if his income increases. You cannot appeal. And you cannot argue that he did not provide sufficient financial information, because signing a statement that you are OK with the disclosure overrides every single statement you have ever made stating that you were NOT satisfied with the information they gave you. "Waive any further disclosure" should be referring to this proceeding only and not any future requests to modify the alimony after ten years, but you have the option of asking to clarify or change that section so that it is very clear whether you'll be able to request financial information later if you need to.

Since you do not feel comfortable signing the agreement, talk to you lawyer. Ask him to explain why he feels that the agreement benefits you. Neither an opposing party nor an attorney can force a party to sign something against his will. It's possible that you're waiving child support because of the amount of alimony, but that's something that you should know and understand, since you'll be held to the agreement that you make. If they will not clarify, change, or help you to understand why that clause should be in the agreement, you have the option of refusing to sign. But your attorney likely has a reason for believing that the agreement benefits you, and would be in the best position to give advice, as someone with the full picture.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The original agreement, signed in April, states that the wife shall receive said amount of alimony and no child support due to his income which was falsified. My attorney told me I can ask for child support later down the road. Are you telling me I can no longer ask for child support?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If you agree to waive child support, it's waived. There would have to be a clause in the signed agreement that would allow you to seek it later. Otherwise, the agreement should provide at least $1 in support to ensure that it can be modified.

An agreement that is based on fraud can be set aside. So, if you were not aware that he was hiding assets at the time that you agreed to waive child support, you would have the option of seeking to have the agreement set aside and then seek support. But you can't do that if you sign something saying that you're happy with the documentation that you have.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25037
Experience: Lawyer
Lucy, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.