Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

The trustee on my parents living trust mistakenly selected

Customer Question

The trustee on my parents living trust mistakenly selected a 'lump sum' distribtution from an annuity which has a large taxable component. All of the beneficiaries would prefer a distribution over time which the Allstate policy allows. The money hasn't been distributed to any of the beneficiaries yet. Can this distribution selection be 'reversed'? The Trustee doesn't think it can be but they aren't an attorney and as executor, I want to be sure.

Thanks in advance
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.
Hi - my name is Kirk and I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Generally, if the distribution has already been made from the annuity to the trust or to the beneficiaries, then it is not possible to reverse the transaction.

HOWEVER, this is generally a matter of contract and whether you can do this depends on what the annuity says. So, it would be worth contacting Allstate to see if it will reverse the distribution. It may be that this annuity allows for a reversal - - but you would just have to look at the language of the agreement.

But generally speaking, this can't be reversed.