Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Ive been advised by several attorneys Ive consulted with

I've been advised by several attorneys I've consulted with and other legal industry professionals that I need to be 'prepared' for tough questions in my upcoming mediation session. I'm the pro se plaintiff in a suit against local law enforcement. The judge has ordered mediation to take place before the case goes to trial. I have NO idea what to expect during mediation, other than some info from web searches, and certainly no idea what types of "tough questions" to expect. Can anyone provide insight? Thanks so much!

TexLawyer :

Good evening. I'll be assisting you with your question.

Customer:

thanks much

TexLawyer :

There isn't a set of specific areas they will try to exploit, but they will dig into your background, the details of the basis for the lawsuit (whatever happened that brought you to sue the police) and will try to trip you up with any discrepancy between your story and what other evidence there may be.

TexLawyer :

Without knowing the details of your case or the evidence involved, it is difficult to say exactly what those questions may be.

Customer:

good points. they will try to trip me/us up, while still claiming to being impartial?

TexLawyer :

Sure, they are interested in seeing if your story remains consistent, which is a sign of truthfulness.

Customer:

Ah, makes sense.

Customer:

I guess I'm a skeptic by nature :) Thanks for the info!

TexLawyer :

In reality, there is nothing to be nervous about. All you have to do is go in and be truthful. If you do that, everything else will take care of itself.

Customer:

I certainly will do that. I'll be in mediation in 14 short hours! Thanks again.

TexLawyer :

I understand. It is always good to go over whatever evidence you may have, just to make sure you are recalling everything correctly.

TexLawyer :

Glad to help. Good luck!

Hi! I just wanted to follow up with you and see how the mediation went.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for asking! Sorry for the delayed response. I've been trying to recover from the mediation session!

The mediator was very calm and professional but made it very clear that my case was 'weak' in that I have no visible or permanent physical scars as a result of my ordeal. She asked me to come up with a dollar amount I would consider as a settlement and she made the proposal to defense counsel. They came back with an offer that was less than 1% of my already low settlement offer amount. So they're just adding insult to injury.....
I wasn't really interested in settling anyway, but the insult and their disregard of what me and my husband endured just sickens us and makes us doubt the 'justice system' in place.

Again, thanks for the follow-up! I appreciate your concern and curiosity.
I'm sorry to hear it didn't go as you'd hoped. If you have any questions in the future, don't hesitate to ask.