Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs

I made a claim stating I got hit and the person ran in truth

Customer Question

I made a claim stating I got hit and the person ran in truth I was the one who hit and ran I want to fix it and tell them the truth but I don't want to get into trouble. Do you have advice? Help please
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Here is the problem with your situation...if you confess now that you were the person responsible for the damage to the vehicle, you have filed a false report, have potentially committed insurance fraud and could be charged with hit and run. On the up side, you are being honest about the situation and are doing the right thing.
.
So you have to weigh all the bad things that can happen to you by confessing vs. the good things that can happen by confessing.
.
As a criminal defense attorney, I can tell you that other criminal defense attorneys would never tell their client to go and admit to a crime that could potentially result in them getting charged criminally and put in jail just so they could feel better about "coming clean".
.
So the question is....are you willing to take on the risks of criminal prosecution so that you can be truthful about the situation?
.
.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police already know they were very nice with everything it's the insurance I'm scared about... Should I seek a lawyer? And I don't have a ton of money so what's the best way to go about that?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, have you actually filed a police report telling them what actually happened?
.
Have they given you any indication that they are going to file any charges for hit and run or filing a false police report?
.
Has the insurance actually paid anything yet?
..
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was only told ill be receiving a few summons... And no to the filing a true police report and no the insurance hasn't pain a cent this all happened with in Two days I don't want to cause grief to anyone... And I'm not a bad person I just need to figure out how not to get in trouble... I told the officer I panicked didn't know what to do he was appreciative that I was up front and honest
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it is pretty likely that they will be sending you a summons for filing a false police report or failing to report an accident as this is standard procedure.
.
If the insurance hasn't paid anything yet, then you might be able to contact them and tell them that you wanted to amend your claim because you didn't understand what you needed to file and were confused after the accident. If they haven't paid anything, they may just allow you to amend the claim without doing anything further.
.
But I would opine that you definitely need to talk to a criminal defense attorney about this so you can be represented and have an attorney be a buffer between you and the police and insurance company. I would talk to the attorney before I contacted the insurance company so he might be able to contact them on your behalf and help with amending the claim quickly and quietly so as not to give them a reason to take any action regarding the initial claim.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know my info was given to the other driver and that is what makes me nervous... I didn't mean to do anything wrong and I did panic... I can't afford a lawyer.... What are your recommendations on that... And thank you so much for your time
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
If you are given a summons, then once you go to court, you can request a Public Defender be appointed to represent you with any criminal charge.
.
If you can't afford a private attorney, then I would go ahead and contact the insurance company and explain that you were confused and scared about the incident and didn't report it exactly as it happened. As I said, if they havent' paid anything out, they may be willing to amend your claim without any further action if you contact them quickly about it before your claim proceeds any further.
.
Your goal should be to try and minimize any problems by notifying them quickly so they can correct the report and claim so they don't get too far in the process where it can't be amended.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have been a big help thank you so much!!
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help.
.
.
Thanks