Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

can I start an l.l.c. in my wifes maidne name?

JD 1992 : Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.
JD 1992 : Can you rephrase your question? I'm not sure exactly what you mean.
Customer:

want to start llc in my wifes maiden name rather than in our current last name.

JD 1992 :

I don't understand what you mean by "start an llc in her maiden name".

JD 1992 :

Are you wanting to name it after her maiden name, have the documents in her maiden name, etc.?

Customer:

yes

JD 1992 :

Which one?

Customer:

she only has one maiden name.

JD 1992 :

No, which one of the options I asked about?

Customer:

yes the documents in her maiden name.

JD 1992 :

No, you have to use her legal name on the documents. You can name the company after her maiden name, but the documents actually have to be signed and in her legal name.

JD 1992 :

Realistically nobody would be likely to catch you, but it could cause problems if the state or a creditor ever challenges you on it.

Customer:

not worried about the state or creditors more of a conflict of interest

JD 1992 :

What type of conflict of interest?

Customer:

business conflict of intrest

JD 1992 :

Can you explain what you mean?

JD 1992 :

Her name wouldn't have any effect on whether there was a conflict of interest or not.

Customer:

you mean the word conflict ?

Customer:

don't want party "

Customer:

don't want party " A " to be able to trace it back by my last name

JD 1992 :

Putting it in her maiden name doesn't mean there wouldn't be a conflict of interest anyway. It might make it harder to catch but if it was caught then the fact that her maiden name was used instead of her legal name would make it more likely the other side would win any action that they brought because of it.

Customer:

ok thanks, bye.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information. Also, issuing a positive rating keeps the question from “timing out” so you can return in the future if you think of a follow up.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.