LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
58185682

Locked by Customer Service

How do I file a complaint against a social security judge named Ronald XXXXXXX?

Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 1 year ago.
If you have a complaint about ALJ that works for the Social Security Administration you can write to:

Office of Disability Adjudication and Review
Division of Quality Service
5107 Leesburg Pike, Suites 1702/1703
Falls Church, VANNN-NN-NNNNbr/>
You will want to include as many details as you can, including:

Your name, address and telephone number;
Your Social Security number;
Who treated you unfairly;
How you think you were unfairly treated;
When you think you were unfairly treated;
The actions or words you thought were unfair;
Who else observed the treatment.

Filing an unfair treatment complaint is not the same as appealing a decision. If you received a decision on your claim and you do not agree with it, you have 60 days from the date you receive the decision to ask for an appeal. The ALJ’s decision letter should have explained explain how to file an appeal. You can also include a description of the unfair treatment in your appeal.

You can also file a complaint with the State Bar. Their address is:

Statewide Bar Counsel
XXXXX Suite 2, Second Floor
East Hartford, CTNNN-NN-NNNN

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience: Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First of all, I would like to thank you for your answer.

Secondly, the answer is a bit boilerplate because as you may know, the administrative law judges belong to a powerful union. It is near impossible for an ALJ to be fired; unless they make a very bad decision and it becomes public.

I feel strongly that the ALJ had a bias in his answer though; filing a complaint against a federal ALJ will mean nothing in CT. But I'll file a complaint... how would I go about filing a complaint against a federally-employed administrative law judge (ALJ)?

You file the complaint using the process I outlined above. If you there is a part you need more information on I would be happy to assist. Do you need help with filing with the Office of Disability Adjudication and Review or the Statewide Bar Counsel?

You would also appeal any decisions the judge has made. Cite the examples of improper bias/conduct as a basis for your appeal. You need to work your way through the appeal process.

If you file a complaint against the ALJ, you can cite the complaint as a basis for the ALJ to recuse himself from future decisions involving your case. While you think it is difficult for an ALJ to be removed, if you can point to specific instances in the record to support your claims, you will have a better chance of success. Also if you all litigants think as you do, and assume their cause is hopeless then the ALJ stands a better chance of going undetected. An ALJ may survive one, two or a few complaints, but if the complaints pile up they will be reprimanded and suffer consequences.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know how to complain to the Appeals Council in Falls Church, but there must be a federal level organization that can punish an administrative law judge.

Thanks for the tip for dealing with the appeals process; i can use the judge's bias as part of my overall brief.

I don't have an attorney for the Appeals Council right now; I've contacted attorneys but none want to take my case.

Do you know of any websites or places where I can find a sample brief to file the appeal on my own?

Thank you again for your 2 answers.

While I appreciate the words of gratitude, I do not receive any credit for assisting you unless you rate my answers. Could you please do so.

The Office of Disability Adjudication and Review -Division of Quality Service is that entity that "punishes" them.

There is no set format that an appeal to the Appeals Council msut be in. I am not aware of any samples that are available online. Here is a nice guide that explains the process in detail and what considerations one should take into account when drafting and submitting an appeal.

http://www.schnaufer.com/ACAdvocacyJune2008.pdf

I'm sure that you will find some of the information discussed to be helpful. Keep in mind the appeals counsel is not looking for a lengthy brief. They just want an explanation as to why you disagree with the hearing decision or order.

Look at the form Request For Review Of Decision/Order Of Administrative Law Judge – Form HA-520 and the instructions which are available here.

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ha-520.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see you're aware of Schnaufer. Very good!

and I found the following information about ALJs on a legal site called Avvo. That is not me posting the question.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/filing-a-complaint-against-a-alj--909361.html

I will rate your answer(s) in a moment.

The AVVO link discusses immunity from civil liability. This protection does mean that they cannot be reprimanded or removed. It just mean that you cannot bring a lawsuit against them personally seeking financial damages.