Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

Someone is trying to sue me over a old bank bill they claimed

Customer Question

Someone is trying to sue me over a old bank bill they claimed I owe. But since then I have changed my name. They say I have a court date but cant identify my information and nothing shows up in the court access system. I have a right to refuse signing if I am served because I am not longer the person of the old name right?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Can you tell me the age of this bank bill? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Im trying to think. I think it was 3-5 years ago. I honestly cant remember the year I opened it up. it was from US Bank.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for responding. Can you tell me what kind of bill this was...credit card? promissory note? something else? Also, is it the Bank trying to get in touch with you or a collection agency or collection law firm contracting you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This was from when my account when negative. When I had social security they messed up with depositing my payments with my pending drafts and my account went overdrawn. Its not a collecting agency. This guy wouldn't reveal who he is from but he said I had to call a certain number to get more info on a case number. Yet nothing shows up on CCAP. I think this may be a fraudulent situation.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. This is a scam. If it was legitimate, you would be hearing from the bank itself and they would be giving you the information. The guy's response is a tell-tale sign of a scam rather than being legitimate. If they call back tell you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. If they won't give you an address to report, report the phone number from which they are calling and the FTC can track it for you. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so that should be the end of things for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have one more thing to add. When I got called before, the guy told me to call this number. I called this number (didn't give to much info for security resons) and talked to a guy about 10 minutes. He couldn't give me a court date or court case number. We got cut off. I tried to call back and then all of a sudden I get a "this number is XXXXX" that brought up red flags. Nothing is showing up on CCAP under my old name or my current legal name. If I indeed had a court date, wouldn't it show? I am thinking to myself if this is indeed a bank they could find out and know my current legal name. This sounds even more like a scam huh? What scared me is they know the last 4 of my social but they didn't say my whole social. I think the information you provided in your last post is interesting and I will keep that in mind. But could you please answer this question? You have been very helpful so far.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for following up. That's exactly right...if you had been sued there would be a record of it. They haven't filed a suit and they are not going to serve you. They are simply trying to intimidate you into sending them money. They probably somehow got your SS information by hacking something...so many of these banks and other sites have been hacked. That' what it appears to be because many times when a site gets hacked, the only information available to the hacker is either the last 4 digits of your SSN or the last 4-5 digits of a credit card. Then they call trying to either scam you into sending money or to get the rest of your SSN.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for your information. You confirmed what I wanted to know. You have been so helpful, thank you!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome...it's my pleasure to help! Have a great day!
Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!