Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

does the new drug law on april 1 apply to dept of vet affa

Customer Question

does the new drug law on april 1 apply to dept of vet affars
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. However, since there are many laws that go into effect on April 1st, I need to be sure we are talking about the same one. Are you talking about the Tennessee Prescription Safety Act?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am getting zanax from pri doctor and valiam from veterans for ptsd will this law on april 1show on thier comp.

Optional Information:
What have you tried so far?: yes

Hello again Jimmy, and thank you for your reply, however, I don't see where you confirm whether or not you are referring to the Tennessee Prescription Safety Act. If you are, then yes, the new law will apply to the VA in Tennessee. Below is what the Tennessee Department of Health says about the issue. There is no Federal law that would conflict with the State law, so the VA would have to participate. You can see a complete discussion of the affect of the Act by going to:

Please let me know if you need any clarification or if you were talking about a different law since that was not clear in your response. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.

1. Do Veterans Administration or military prescribers have to register for the database?

Any Veterans Administration or military prescriber who prescribes controlled substances and provides direct care to patients in Tennessee for more than 15 calendar days per year is required to register with the database as provided by the Prescription Safety Act of 2012 (“PSA”). In the event that a provision of the PSA conflicts with a federal statute or regulation, then federal law shall apply.