Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

what is the statue of limitations for first time domestic assault

what is the statue of limitations for first time domestic assault in saginaw, mi
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Did he ever file any type of criminal complaint against you?
.
Was he filming you when you hit him?
.
Any type of evidence that you hit him other than his verbal statements?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he was filming on phone but don't know if it was shown or not, another thing there no proof that he verbal abuses me, how do you prove that?

Ok, assuming that he didn't catch you on tape hitting him, then he would only be able to verbally state that you hit him and the prosecutor would then have to decide whether or not to file any type of charges. If it has been 30 days, it is pretty unlikely that the prosecutor would actually file criminal charges. The longer someone waits, the less likely that the prosecutor will act on a complaint because if it was enough to be taken seriously, the complainant would have filed sooner.

.

As for verbal abuse, although it is abuse, it is not actionable under the law.
.
But from a purely legal perspective, under MI law, the MI Code of Criminal Procedure 767.24, a misdemeanor can be prosecuted up to 6 years.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing.There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.