Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

Can I, in response to

Customer Question

Can I, in response to a classified ad, list the following or something very similar in a classified ad?

"TOP DOLLAR? Are you scamming, defrauding, tax evading, or stealing identities? Why are you avoiding questions?"

The ad will be responding to this ad.

"TOP DOLLAR PAID for unused, unopened Unexpired diebetic testing strips. Call. xxx-xxx-xxxx for pricing...."

I don't want to list an ad that will get me sued for defamation or slander.

While I believe all the items in the ad to be true, they cannot be proven at this juncture, but the actions of this buyer does border on fraud.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to answer your question.

Can you tell me more about the background of this situation and why would you want to publicly question the honesty or legitimacy of this party?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are knowingly buying items-diabetic test strips- already paid for by insurance, medicare, or medicaid.

They require or request people to not remove their personal information from the boxes because they have a special process to remove labels. I now the process. It is not special. It is a hair dryer or Goo-Gone that they use to remove the information.

In my opinion, they are preying on the elderly, low income, and unemployed.

They also claim to be local but are 40 miles away, call from a 440-xxx-xxx number and tell you to call a another number in an entirely different zip code, and so far have three different names. How do I know? I have did my homework.

The main reason for the public announcement is to alert the public their may be a problem.

I have had over $700 siphoned from a financial account recently by someone. Fortunately, my account is 100% protected and I have a very good idea who made the unauthorized charges. Still following up on it.

I have another account so this did not hurt me. I will get it all back. This could and will devastate someone else.

I have a background in corporate and computer security and am very vigilant which is why I was able to trace my situation back to where it most likely happened. It can happen to anyone. Unfortunately, most people are not as vigilant as I am and can loose their information more easily than I did.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And I should add, that on three separate phone calls the caller was given three different names by the recipient of the phone call. On on instance,she evaded a question and told the caller the "business" belonged to a doctor which I highly doubt considering that this could prove to be a serous ethical matter for the doctor.

I just can't see a doctor risking his career for something seemingly on the edge of fraud.

There is something being going on here and I will get to the bottom of it eventually. However, I will do so legally and don't want to be sued for libel or slander when trying to expose a suspected fraud or scam.

Dear Fran,

Thank you for your follow up.

Can you please clarify how this particular party who is offering to buy diabetic testing strips has any impact on your personally and also I am not sure if I see connection between someone fraudulently withdrawing money from your bank account and this particular party offering to buy diabetic test strips. Can you please clarify?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please forget this entire thing. I am requesting my money back. This has proven to be a big waste of my time.

I asked what I thought was a simple question, but apparently it is not, as it has taken an interrogative route which I did not even remotely envision. I unwittingly put myself on trial where I am being questioned instead of my question being answered. It is exactly what I am trying to avoid in the first place.

I feel as if the tables have been turned on me. I stayed away from this site for the longest time and decided I would try it again. I fully regret that decision at this moment.

If you are an attorney, you should be aware of the issue of identity theft and fishing schemes to obtain personal information for financial gain of the perpetrators. I am certain you are.

No one said anything about this being a personal issue. It is an issue of empathy. Protecting people's personal information online and offline and their computer systems from malicious malware and software is a big part of my background. It's wanting to help society and give something back to it, but I will have to find another way to help because this is not as simple an issue as I thought it would be.

When I donate my time and my money to causes or charities it is not always, and usually not, because it is a personal issue which affects me. It is because I am a compassionate human being who can empathize with other human beings and share my knowledge with them or alert them to issues that I know quite a bit about.

Crime prevention is proactive to help reduce crimes from occurring.

I did not understand at the time when I asked this question, that I would have to write a dissertation.

Unfortunately, in the litigious United states, anyone can be sued for the most trivial of things so hence my question.

I apologize. This was a big mistake on my part. I wish to go nor further.

I will not post the ad since it appears to be a more complicated issue that it looked upon first glance. It was a big mistake and a bigger waste of my time than I thought it would be.

Thank you.