Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I showed for my jury duty and was told to come back the next

I showed for my jury duty and was told to come back the next day. I had tenative travel plans and said I couldn't. I showed the jury assembly coordinators my tenative e ticket and they dismissed me. Now I've received a letter that I may be held in contempt. What should I do?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

When you were dismissed, were you given a written confirmation of such dismissal by the jury assembly coordinators?

Do you at lease have the last name of the jury coordinator that you have spoken to and who dismissed you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I was not given a written dismissal. The jury coordinator assured me that she would do everything she could to make sure I was cleared. This was at the end of the day and I had told the sheriff that I was traveling the next day, he went into the courtroom and came back out asking what time my flight was, I told him 8 AM, he went back into the courtroom and came back out and told me to go to the jury assembly room and show the jury coordinators my e ticket and they would provide an accomodation for me. The jury coordinators were tenative about letting me go because they hadn't heard directly from the judge. They asked to see my e ticket, which I showed them, they wrote down that they had seen it and my name and juror #.. No I didn't get any last names. I trusted them and I guess I shouldn't have.

Thank you for your follow up.

Well, it will be difficult to support your position without any written evidence or the names of the authorized staff who had verbally dismissed you.

Is there a court hearing date set for your contempt hearing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - May 31

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, generally only the judge would have the legal authority to dismiss the juror and not sheriff's deputy or coordinator.

Unfortunately, if you are found to be in contempt of court, you can face penalties which can vary from fines and court costs to some jail time.

Given the seriousness of the contempt charge against you, it would be in your best interest to consult and retain local attorney, who can help you gather all the facts and evidence to present your position and the fact that you were verbally dismissed in the best possible light and hopefully the contempt charge against you would be dismissed or you would simply have to pay a small fine.

I wish you the best of luck and once again I am sorry about this unfortunate situation that you are facing.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney