Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Im getting remarried after 12 years. Although I dont mind

I'm getting remarried after 12 years. Although I don't mind changing my last name, my fiance doesn't have the best of credit because his name is XXXXX XXXXX loans (car/ 2nd home)that his exwife got behind on. I think she's caught up now.

How do I protect my good credit? If I change my name to his, will that ruin my credit rating?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

The name you choose won't affect the credit rating. What causes a spouse's credit rating to be lowered is the "linking" with the other spouse's credit, which can be done regardless of the name.

JD 1992 :

The only way to prevent the reduction in credit rating is to not be linked to him. Usually you can void that by just not listing each other as spouses on anything to do with credit.

JD 1992 :

I've never seen the credit agencies look for marriage licenses, etc. they get all of their information from the places which grant credit.

Customer:

So as long as I don't buy a car, house or get a credit card with his name on it, I'm still okay? Anything else that might link our names together financially such as health insurance?

JD 1992 :

I'm not sure if health insurance companies report to the agencies. I know some don't but some may. you also have to make sure that he doesn't report you on anything he does as well.

JD 1992 :

You could also consider a pre-nuptial agreement that agrees no joint debt, etc.

JD 1992 :

If it gets reported you may be able to make them remove it.

Customer:

Such as? Life insurance?

Customer:

How long does a prenup take to set up?

JD 1992 :

A lawyer can usually do one for you in less than a week.

JD 1992 :

I'm not sure about the insurance, I think it depends on the company as opposed to the type.

Customer:

ok. Any other suggestions? What about my current name on financial matters? My car? My house?

JD 1992 :

The name isn't really an issue on your current things. You can change it or not, just don't let them enter info on him being your spouse.

Customer:

Alright. Thank you.

JD 1992 :

If you decide to get a pre-nup just explain to the lawyer what your concern is so they can draft it to address that. Don't use one of the internet forms since those are really designed for a different purpose.

Customer:

ok.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with?

Customer:

No. Thank you.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you! I'll exit so I can assist others.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information. Also, issuing a positive rating keeps the question from “timing out” so you can return in the future if you think of a follow up.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.