John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

My employer just call me yesterday that they received a letter

My employer just call me yesterday that they received a letter of wage garnishment from the unemployment office that i was overpaid unemployment compesation when i was unemployed six years ago, the weekly amount to be garnished is almost half of my weekly income. How can i stop the procedure and arrange for an amount that will not put my family in hardship?

EmplmntLaw1 :

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. According to the Minnesota garnishment laws only 25 % of your disposable (after tax) wage may be garnished at any time, this includes all debts against you. 571.922 So what you'll need to do, is get a hold of the garnishment and file an objection with the court in which it was ordered. You have 10 days to do this. You'll probably want to call the court as they may have a form you can fill out to file the objection. You will also need to give a copy of your objection to the state agency that ordered the garnishment -probably the attorney general's office.

EmplmntLaw1 :

You'll then have a hearing at court where you'll need to bring in your check stubs etc to explain that the amount being claimed in the garnishment is more than 25% of your disposable income. So be prepared to be able to explain this to the judge and opposing counsel.

EmplmntLaw1 :

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; it is the only way I get credit for my answers. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think i have been taken advantage of, $236 was garnished out of my paycheck this week, i just find that out from my wife when she read my pay stub statement to me. I dont even know that the garnishment was already ineffect. I am just blinded to this fact.After tax i take home weeklyalmost $700, and my understanding from my employer is that they are going to deduct this amount weekly, as we get paid weekly. What can do now?

You need to get the garnishment and case number from the court and file a motion objecting to the garnishment and requesting that it be adjusted to the proper amount under he law; 25%. That is the only way you can get the amount adjusted to the proper garnishment amount.