LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 23 years.
58185682

I recieved a notice from a debt collection agency stating that

Customer Question

I recieved a notice from a debt collection agency stating that I owe a sizeable amount to a local municipality ( Dayton OH) for taxes. I have not lived in that city since 1997 . I do have a rental unit located in Dayton . I always pay the amount of taxes owed per my tax preparers calculations . What should be my next move ?
Expert:  LegalEagle1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

You should contact the debt collector in writing and ask for written documentation for the debt.
You or your tax preparer/representative can also contact the Dayton City Tax Department and inquire as the nature of the claimed tax obligation.

Customer Service Center: 937-333-3500
Office Hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Once you have a understanding of the nature of the debt, you can explore your options as to how to dispute or resolve the claim.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

While I do appreciate a reply .....those steps had already been taken .

I feel like I just wasted $36.

I'm sorry, I have no way of knowing what steps you may have taken unless you have disclosed them.

Have you received a response from the debt collector?

What information did the Dayton City Tax Department provide you?
Did they disclose the basis for the claim they are asserting?

Please let me know what additional information you have been provided and what steps you have taken and I will see if I can provide you with a more useful and appropriate response.
I am following up to see if you need any additional help? If you do have further questions I can refer you to customer service.