Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law
18539850

I was walking a friends dog on a harness and lead our neighbors

I was walking a friends dog on a harness and lead our neighbors puppy was loose and came up on the dog that I was walking and the dog I was walking bit the other dog. To help the other party I took there dog to a vet and paid 120.00 just to be told that the dog needed to go to another emergency Vet. It turned into a bill for 1150.00 apparently I signed an agreement to help these kids get there dog released. Now I have received a bill for the said amount and the owner of the bit dog has sense moved to another location.
The original charges came to their address and they apparently placed it unopened in my mail box and I opened it and saw that it was addressed to them and I then gave it to there uncle next door where the owner of the dog that was bitten was living at the time. They have sense moved away. The owner of the accused dog had told the bitten dogs owner that he wold help pay the expenses but they have sense moved away. Do I have to go to small claims court keep from paying the entire cost? I apparently am being charged for the whole amount, because I tried to help these kids get there dog released? What are my options? Is it on me now?
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that you put it on your credit card? And now you are looking for assistance in getting the bill paid? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it seems that I signed for a new card, that pertains to vet health. My intent was to allow the Kids to be able to take there dog home after treatment. they didn't have any money or work so they were of course devastated

does a leash law have any impact here? I was just trying to help there kids out

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
I'm still a bit confused as to what your question might be. Reading your initial post, I thought you were inquiring as to whether you might be able to take the case to small claims to force other parties to share in the financial responsibility. But then, when I sought clarification, you answered with a "no" and then asked about a leash law. So, could you please state your specific question? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Apparently, I mistakenly signed up for a new credit service with a company called "Care Credit". I haven't signed the new card or used it, because, once signed on the back or making a payment, I will have accepted the charges as mine and mine only.

I had told the other parties that the owner of the offending dog would partially pay fo some of the cost. I do not want my personal credit affected by any missed or late payments.

So with the leash law do I have any recourse in say, small claims court, or did I commit to having signed my money away by trying to be a good neighbor ?

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.

As to the credit card debt, and as I think you understand, any "fault" is irrelevant. All that matters in that context is whether you used the card to create the debt. If so, then this would legally be your responsibility.

.

Beyond that, and if the case went to small claims court, you could then argue that the other dog owner was negligent in not having the dog restrained. In the context of civil litigation, it would be important to prove who was responsible for what took place. If it could be demonstrated that the other dog was not properly restrained and that his approaching of the other dog caused the bite, then the judge might well find the other party to be responsible.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph, Attorney
Experience: I have 15 years experience in the legal field, currently specializing in criminal and family law