TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Im looking to know how to have mine & my wifes pers. info

Customer Question

Im looking to know how to have mine & my wife`s pers. info removed from the internet/google search sites. some of it is 3rd party the other is public record, home price, address, date of birth etc.I was told I have to obtain a court order. I live in central FL.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

You were given correct information. You'd have to have a court order that requires search sites to remove your personal information. The problem is that a court would not likely issue such an order. Information in the public record, home price, address, date of birth, etc., is not generally considered private information that can be the subject of a cease and desist order, and a judge would likely rule that the search sites have a First Amendment right to post that information. This type of thing has come under scrutiny in the last decade when websites began to appear which provide that type of personal information about abortion doctors.

If I were you, I would write a letter to the websites in question (e.g., Google, etc.) and request that the information be taken down voluntarily. You may wish to explain that you fear that you may be the victim of an attack due to your history as a witness in criminal cases. You may even wish to retain an attorney to write a cease and desist letter to the websites in question. It may cost you a couple hundred dollars. The problem is that if your request and/or the attorney's cease and desist letter are ignored, then you'd have to sue, and I doubt that you'd win. But it may certainly be worth a try.

I am truly sorry to give you this bad news overall, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response. However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer. I do ask that you rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not based upon whether the answer was good news or bad news. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: JD, MBA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I greatly appreciate your rapid & truthful response. It is sad that this is what the gov. allows. it`s almost like being tossed out to the wolves for the taking. Nothing is sacred, but the least that I will do is try your advice. Last what type of attorney should I contact to request that cease & disist?

Thank You Again,

Dave

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again.

I would contact either a general practitioner or civil litigator. Either could handle this issue.

I understand your frustration. Hopefully this can be resolved with a simple letter. Good luck!