Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I have came up with a idea and I need to know if I need to

I have came up with a idea and I need to know if I need to copyright my idea.I am on peritoneal dialysis everyday for 10 hours every night 7 days a week and this is done at home. Peritoneal dialysis make it easy for us to travel. We have a machine that do our dialysis for this 10 hours and if we miss dialysis it could mean death for us. The machine is in a large black suitcase. I have come up with a stencil that will let everyone know that this life support dialysis equipment and it need to be handle with care. I feel this will help when we are traveling on a plan and other places because this suitcase have to stay with us at all times. It is also recommended that suitcase stay with us at all times. I did talk to a copyright lawyer and he said if someone change one word the copyright would not be any good. I want to put this on the market but I don’t want anyone to take my idea. Should I still try to get my idea copyright or should I just put it on the market.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

While you can copyright the stencil, I would have to agree with your local attorney that it would not be very effective, as anyone can simply lightly alter the wording or the shape / color of the stencil and would be able to produce their version of the stencil.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.