William B. Esq.
William B. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I recently pulled my credit report . I found that I have deliquent

I recently pulled my credit report . I found that I have deliquent accountin collection with a apparmet complex I use to live in. I move from this palce 2008. The problem is I foung that the property manger was arrested for stilling money from rental payment resident Made. I feel I am one of the victims of this because I paid in cash and I never recived any recipts. I admit I was young and unexperienced this was my first palce whatb can I do to dispute this or get this removed from credit. I tried to reach the company and they change management companies at least three times simnce I moved.
Expert:  William B. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

William B. Esq. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer, I would like to assist you with your legal question today.

William B. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation, your biggest difficulty is going to be locating your creditor (or claimed creditor). However, if the creditor has filed a claim with the credit bureaus (to affect your report) there must be contact information available.

William B. Esq. :

You can continue to follow up with these individuals or company to try to come to a reasonable resolution on the claim - you paid, and they were aware of the theft by their apartment manager. You should be able to get them to remove the disputed charges as they are victims of this crime, they cannot simply place this on you.

William B. Esq. :

You can also file a dispute directly with each of the 3 credit reporting agencies. (Remember to access them through the Federal Trade Commission to get your free report and you can then dispute the claim from there (it is a drop down menu for each).

Customer:

The only thing avalible is the name of the company and I called them They told me the company has changed managemnt 3 different times

Customer:

There is no paper trail

William B. Esq. :

I would definitely direct you to each of the individual reporting agencies then. They require that the claimed creditors support their disputed claim with some form of contract or show of non-payment (it is not a perfect system, but in most cases it will do away with frivolous claims).

Customer:

so you are saying to file a dispute with each of the three credit agencis

Customer:

so they can ivestigate this claim

William B. Esq. :

With all 3 of them. They will not do an "in depth" investigation into the circumstances of your debt, but they will review their own records to determine whether or not the initial claim that was filed was valid, plus whatever information you provide them - they do not give you a lot of room, so be concise.

Customer:

okay thanks for help

William B. Esq. :

You are welcome, I do hope that this works out quickly. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

Do you know of any services that provide help in writng a dispute

William B. Esq. :

You should not need any help with that - it is designed for everyone to be able to use it. If you end up with a collection agency that is actually pursuing you for the debt, that is another matter.

Customer:

okay thanks again

William B. Esq., Attorney
Experience: Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.