John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

Good morning, I am a UK citizen in the USA on a L1 visa living

Good morning,
I am a UK citizen in the USA on a L1 visa living in Minneapolis MN. On Wednesday may 8th while in Wichita ,KS on business, I was arrested and charged with a misdamenour of disorderly conduct (class C). I was held at Sedgwick co jail for 10 hrs before going to court. To enable my exit and return to MN as scheduled I pled guilty. I have been ordered to pay $100 fine + $75 court fees. I do not have any prior convictions in UK or USA.
Could you
1. Please tell me what my options are I.e should/ could I appeal or just pay and forget.
2. Is this something I have to declare to my current or future employer
2. What impact this could have on my L1visa status
3. I travel frequently out of country for business could I be refused at POE US

Kind regards
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. Sorry to hear about the issue you're having.

EmplmntLaw1 :

I'll answer your questions as follows:

EmplmntLaw1 :

EmplmntLaw1 :

Most people wouldn't appeal this because the cost of appealing it is probably greater than the fine ad costs. It wouldn't have any bearing on your visa status to have this plea on your record - so the choice is yours but if I were in the same position I wouldn't appeal.

EmplmntLaw1 :

2. Is this something I have to declare to my current or future employer?

EmplmntLaw1 :

If they ask - yes. Most states laws allow employer's to ask about misdemeanor convictions. Some employers will terminate or not consider employees with various criminal histories.

EmplmntLaw1 :

2. What impact this could have on my L1visa status 3. I travel frequently out of country for business could I be refused at POE?

EmplmntLaw1 :

This will not have an impact on your L1 status or your ability to reenter- the crimes that would call for deportation or denial of reentry are far more serious - like aggravated felonies, controlled substance, firearms, domestic violence, public security related crimes.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Let me know if you have any follow up questions or concerns - I'm happy to answer.

Customer: Hi ...thanks for the answers. So what I am hearing is pay the fine and forget about it. Do you know how long this will stay on my record? And would this come up on a criminal background check while applying to lease an apartment?
EmplmntLaw1 :

If it were me - I'd pay the fine and forget about it. It would be on your criminal record forever. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (which governs non-criminal checks on records) the max look back period is 7 years; that's the type of report an apartment manager would be looking at. Being that this happened very recently, I would not expect that it would yet be on any record that a non-law enforcement agency would have access to.

Customer: Sure maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here and you've given me peace of mind somewhat. Do you know if when I return to the UK there are any reciprocal criminal data sharing acts between the 2 countries that could update the UK criminal records with my conviction
EmplmntLaw1 :

I don't know for sure, but I'm doubtful something as minor as this makes it into data sharing. My understanding is they only coordinate on major crimes.

Customer: I appreciate the responses and information given in a timely and concise manner. Thank you kindly for your support. Ed.
EmplmntLaw1 :

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks .

John, Attorney
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.