Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

We had an incident tonight where two males were trying to fight

Customer Question

We had an incident tonight where two males were trying to fight my son over an accident dispute. Feeling cornered, my son (20 years old) pulled out his pocket knife but put it away as soon as I told him to. I called the police as the incident continued to escalate. When they arrived, we were in our home and the others had gone but the police said my son committed a felony and if the other boys called the police, my son would go to jail. My question is, now that we know this how long do they have to call the police and file a complaint against us?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

How does police know that your son did pull a pocket knife on the other people involved in this dispute?

Did you or your son made any admissions or statements to the police admitting to a knife being pulled out?