How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question

Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 23626
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A local TV station showed a video of my son and broadcasted

Customer Question

A local TV station showed a video of my son and broadcasted it stating it saying that he was an armed robbery suspect they arrested in my town he was NEVER an armed robbery suspect and I want to sue them for damages I need to find an attorney I cant seem to find one that handles libel slander or defamation cases. I have the video and several winesses even the guy who owns the store that was robbed he knows our family and will testify in court that his employees id'd the robbers and they wree black males my son is white there are so many facts that the TV station should have known to lead them to know they were making accusations against the wrong person...HELP
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If your son is an adult, he would need to file his own lawsuit to protect his reputation. That may be why you're not finding an attorney to accept the case for you. You unfortunately cannot do it for him. If he's a minor, then you can file as next friend on his behalf.

Defamation requires an untrue statement of fact that tends to harm the reputation of the person about whom the statement is made. A statement that someone committed a crime is considered defamation per se - it will be presumed that his reputation suffered as a result. The problem is, because of the First Amendment, there is a higher burden of proof when the defendant is a newspaper. That means that, to prove the case, you'll need evidence that the reporter knew that the statement was not true, or that he exhibited a knowing and reckless disregard of whether the statement was true or false. That can be difficult to establish, which could require that you request information from the other party.

We unfortunately are not able to recommend specific attorneys. However, the Georgia Bar Referral Service may be able to help.

Alternatively, if you search for a defamation attorney on, you may be able to find someone on your geographic area.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They were completely aware that the real armed robbers were black males in their 20s my son is white and 17. Even the owner of the store that was robbed told us he knew my son had nothing to do with it being that the employees positively id'd the robbers before the tv station aired the footage implicating my son. They failed to mention any of this during the broadcast and as soon as I told them I was getting a lawyer and that i had witnesses including the employees that were at the store durng the robbery that will testify my son was not involved they stopped airing the broadcast and took the video off the internet but I recorded it to prove in court what they had said and the footage they aired accusing my son. I also gave them ample time before any of the lawyer talk I called and talked to the head of the station and told her they were picturing the wrong person, she apologized and said they wouldnt aire it again, but continued to do so 5 more times along with the video on their website, it wasnt until I mentioned a lawyer that they took it off the website and didnt aire it on the news anymore as if to prove that they knew it was false and were worried about getting sued.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If they knew it was false, you can bring a suit on your son's behalf for the harm to his reputation that comes from being accused. Removing the video will reduce the damages a little, but it doesn't change the fact that the initial harm was done - especially if they never reported or printed any sort of retraction.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions