Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My former "husband forged my signature-or a witnesses signature-on

Customer Question

My former "husband forged my signature-or a witnesses signature-on our marriage license in 1992. is that a crime?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

What specifically are you wishing to accomplish? Are you seeking to void the marriage? In what state did you reside?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i am wondering if the marriage is legal if we acknowledged it eventually. we aer now divorcing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am in NC. he is in NM. We "married" in CA. His behavior is relevant. but I'm not going in the direction of annulment. we'er gettiing divorced

Thank you for your follow-up, Carolina.

Then in that situation I would have to agree with your attorney. At this point it is irrelevant whether or not your spouse signed the document and not you. The reason is two-fold. First of all too much time has passed for it to be actionable even if this would be considered a crime--this is beyond the statutory limitation. Second is the whole concept of fraud in a marriage--if the parties are aware of the fraud and they continue to remain together, the fraud as grounds for annulling the marriage no longer applies. As you have been married for over 20 years, it is too far back for you to claim that you were in a fraudulent marriage for all that time. I can understand your argument but it would not be something that you could use against your spouse in this instance.

Good luck.