Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

To report a crime, do I have to have the location of a crime.

To report a crime, do I have to have the location of a crime. I know of a crime, a burglary, that happened about 10-12 years ago. It is really bothering me. I actually was with the person when they did it. I was sitting in the passenger seat of the van they were driving when they went in. I am wondering if I have enough info. that I am responsible to tell the law enforcement. I do not know the address, nor do I know the exact city. It was in one of two cities. As I said, I don't know where the place was. I could not tell or show somebody where it was if I had to. I am just wondering from a legal standpoint if I am responsible to tell the police if I don't know where it happened. I have a guilty conscience about this, and I just want to do what I have to to stop feeling bad about this.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to care about your difficult situation.

Did this burglary take place in California?

Do you know if anyone was hurt as the result of this burglary?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I don't know if anyone was hurt. All I know is he went in and then came out with a bag of stuff.

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

What was your role in this serious crime?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that yes it did occur in California. I just sat in the passenger seat.

I was younger and hanging out with the wrong crowd and was involved in drugs. He was much older and I heard that he did that, break into houses. I said next time he goes I want to go. I wanted to go to benefit from what he got. One day he came to where I was and picked me up to hang out. I did not know what he was doing when he picked me up. He pulled over somewhere and told me what he was doing. I said ok, i'll go. He drove to a house, got out, went into house for a couple of minutes and came out with a bag, and then he drove off. That was the end of it. I recently drove to the city where I thought I remember it happening but discovered I do not know where it was that it happened. I thought I may have had an idea, but as I went there I discovered I did not know.

Dear XXXXXa,

Thank you for your follow up.

While you can report any crime committed by any person at any time to the local police and provide the police with any details and facts that you do have, but the statute of limitations on burglary is 3 years from the time the crime took place, so it is not likely that the police would be able to investigate this crime simply because to much time had passed and it wouold not be possible to prosecute this person for the burglary that took place 10-12 years ago.

I wish you the best of luck!
Dear XXXXXa,

Do you have any related follow up questions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I don't thank you. Sorry for the delay.

Dear XXXXXa,

I wish you the best of luck and GOD bless you!

Thank you and please click on the "Excellent Service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required. I wish you all the best.