How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can an amendment be made to a stipulation agreement, initialed

Customer Question

can an amendment be made to a stipulation agreement, initialed and signed by both plaintiff and defendant without attorney being involved, and still remain legal and hold up in court of law?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
What is the subject matter of the agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is a property co-owned by beneficiaries of an estate. this property has a contract for purchase that will expire at midnight. The stipulation was drawn up by one owner to have the other owner who was also trustee of estate provide all accounting related to rental of property for previous 3 years prior to contract being signed. the agreement basically stated that all funds would be held in escrow at closing until this documentation was received, the amendment would allow for $10000 each to be disbursed at closing with remainder to remain in escrow until audit was completed

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
I see. Then yes. Such an amendment can be made but all the parties to the original agreement need to sign off on it (i.e., they need to execute a signature on the amendment).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so if i make the change since i initiated the stipulation as plaintiff, initial and sign the amended line in addition to signing the agreement, fax to defendant who also initials and signs the amended part and agreement then it would be legal?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
I wouldn't do it that way.

I would have a separate sheet of paper which states:

This document is an Amendment to ____________________(the name of the Stipulation Agreement) which was entered into between the parties on ________ (date you signed the agreement). The parties wish to amend the agreement as follows:

The parties agree that section ____ will be amended to read__________

Agreed to by:

________________(signature) _________
Your Printed Name Date

________________(signature) _____________
Their Printed Name date

You sign it, fax it over to him, he signs it, and then you've got yourself an amendment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what if original stipulation has never been signed, would you still do it the same way?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
No. If the original stipulation has never been signed, then it is not amendment because the original stipulation is not binding.

In that case, you would use the cross out method and have everyone initial by the cross out and addition, then you execute the document on the original spots.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

and it would still be a legally binding document? thank you

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
You are confusing me. Why do you think the document is binding as it stands when neither of you have signed it?

Was this document something which was issued by the court that you are trying to change, or is it an agreement which you and the other party are negotiating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no we are negotiating it, she didn't want to sign original, sorry for any confusion. The changes were made, initialed and signed by both parties as you suggested. I hope that was correct, appreciate your advice.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
Ok then. That is correct and it will be legally binding. I'm glad I was able to help.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions