socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

COULD YOU PLEASE CITE THE HIPAA ENFORCEMENT RULE FOR ACUTE

COULD YOU PLEASE CITE THE HIPAA ENFORCEMENT RULE FOR ACUTE CARE FACILITIES (EMERGENCY DEPARTMENTS) REGARDING DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS TO PATIENTS?
Title 45 C.F.R. 164 Subpart E codifies the "HIPAA Privacy Rule." There is no specific rule associated with emergency room facilities. The rules are the same, regardless of the facility's character. The rule has numerous subsections which define rights and obligations concerning emergency circumstances, but these rules are not isolated to emergency facilities. You can find the various subsections by searching the Rule for the term, "emergenc", which will find emergency and emergencies.

If after you review the various subsections, you have specific questions about the requirements of the privacy rule, please feel free to ask and I will try to interpret.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What specific vehicle/url do I use to search the rule?

If you click the link previously provided (here it is again for your convenience): Title 45 C.F.R. 164 Subpart E, the most recent rule will be displayed. If you are using Internet Explorer or Firefox, you can push the keys <Ctrl><F> and then type in the search term -- which will permit you to scroll to each keyword in the Rule.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I followed your advice, and what you suggested isn't working. Am I an idiot?

Here is a link to a .pdf file that I created with the relevant text. You can download and open the file with the Acrobat reader and then search on the "emergenc" term.

Hope this helps.