Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

in federal court, how long do i have to respond to a reply

in federal court, how long do i have to respond to a reply to a response to summary judgment.

Just to be clear, (1) a motion for summary judgment was filed by defendants; (2) we filed our response; (3) defendants filed a reply to our response. I now want to file a reply to the defendant's reply. How many days do I have?

We are in federal court (Indiana division)

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The party responding to a motion is not able to respond to the moving party's reply. The purpose of the rely is to address the arguments raised by the non-moving party in the Opposition. A reply should not raise new arguments, and there is therefore no automatic right to file what is called a Sur-reply. Usually, a party must seek leave of court to file a Sur-Reply.

If you look at the local rules for your court (you didn't state whether you're in the Northern District or the Southern District, but I checked both), Rule 7-1 only allows for responses to motions and replies to responses. If there are arguments raised in the reply brief that are not mentioned in your Opposition or the original motion, then you have the option of filing a Motion for Leave to File Sur-Reply. If it is granted, the judge should give you a deadline for filing it.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. XXXXX 7-1 from the Northern District?

Both districts actually call it rule 7-1. For the Northern District, it's on page 14.