Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Last October my significant other of 16 yrs & I broke our relationship.

Last October my significant other of 16 yrs & I broke our relationship. We had 2 dogs, 1 hers and the other was mine. To help with the move I said to take both dogs & made her promise to keep me informed on them & send pix. She has done neither & I want my dog back. What are my rights?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. In Florida as in most states, pets are considered "items." As such, at this point, you and her both have rights to the same item (i.e. the dog) and cannot agree on who receives the dog.

This would be a matter for small claims court. Please see here.

Now, small claims court only hears monetary claims under $5,000, so someone in your situation may wish to file said claim and state that she is holding the dog, worth $____, which rightfully belongs to you.

Then, the Court will hear the matter and make a decision based on both parties' testimony. A lot of times, a LETTER threatening to file suit does the trick, and will have the other party release the item (i.e. the dog, in this case) to avoid litigation.

Please let me know if you need a sample of such a letter.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, please send me a sample letter to send her. Thank you for your help.

My pleasure.

Dear _____________,

You still have my beloved dog, _____________. At this time, demand is made that he/she be given back to me as the dog rightfully belongs to me.

You have __ days from your receipt of this certified correspondence to return the dog, or else I will have no choice but to explore other options for relief, including suit for conversion. The essential elements of a conversion is a wrongful deprivation of property to the owner, and neither manucaption nor asportation is an essential element thereof. Senfeld v. Bank of Nova Scotia Trust Co., 450 So. 2d 1157 - Fla: Dist. Court of Appeals, 3rd Dist. 1984.

Legal and attorney fees would also be requested.

I trust that we can settle this matter amicably.

Good luck.