Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My business (a C-corp) filed for ch-11 bankruptcy protection

My business (a C-corp) filed for ch-11 bankruptcy protection 4 months ago. That business had a credit card in its name with a $490 balance at the time of filing. That balance was shown on our list of non-secured creditors. However, the bank has since written that amount off, and dinged my personal credit history because I had a personal guarantee on that card. Can they do this without first sending me notice, invoking my personal guarantee and giving me the option to pay it out of my own funds?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you had a personal guarantee, the creditor does not need to give notice under current FTC regulations before they make a report to the credit bureaus I am afraid. They would need to give you notice if they were suing you over the amount, but not to make a report to the credit bureau as you were merely a surety on the account and a surety is not entitled to notice under the regulations I am sorry to say.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”