Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I was convicted of unlawfully carrying a weapon in Texas in

I was convicted of unlawfully carrying a weapon in Texas in October of 1996. This was for carrying a gun in my car. Served 2 years probation that ended in November of 1998. I was originally arrested in March of 1995 before the carry license went into effect. I am now in Georgia and want to apply for a carry permit but not sure how to answer question 7 on the application. It says:

"Have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or nolo contendere to, pointing a gun or pistol at another
person, carrying a weapon without a weapons carry license, or carrying a weapon or long gun in an
unauthorized location?"

The part that I am focusing on is the line that says CARRYING WITHOUT A WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE. In Texas at the time there were no carry license and I am not sure if the law in Texas at the time of UNLAWFULLY CARRYING A WEAPON is the same as the Georgia law of CARRYING A WEAPON WITHOUT A WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE. Do I need to answer yes or no on this question?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

The law back then was worded differently but you would have to answer "yes: to the question.

JD 1992 :

Is there a place on there that allows you to provide an explanation.

Customer:

No. It asks if this was in the last 5 years and the answer is no. It's been about 15 years ago. It wants me to provide a document that states when the probation was completed. Of course since it's been so long I don't have it. Was hoping that since what I was convicted of is now LEGAL in Texas and the line on the Georgia form looked different than the law I broke I could mark no.

JD 1992 :

You can get a copy of the judgment showing the length of probation from the County Clerk where you were convicted.

JD 1992 :

If you were caught with the gun in a car back in 1995 then you violated the section that states "carrying a weapon or a long gun in an unauthorized location".\

JD 1992 :

I haven't looked at the GA statute in a long time but I thought it used to be sworn and therefore if you answer "no" it is a crime so you want to err on the side of caution.

Customer:

o k.

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can assist with?

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992