WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

How serious is the law on hippa

How serious is the law on hippa
Expert:  WALLSTREETFIGHTER replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

If this information came from the daughter of a medical official at the hospital, you should file a HIPPA complaint as soon as possible,

Customer: What happens
WALLSTREETLAW :

be aware a HIPPA complaint does not allow you to sue, but could fine the medical center,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and lead to the termination of the employee who discloses the private information

Customer: Could I get my $1600.00 back?
WALLSTREETLAW :

You can file a HIPPA complaint using the link above,

WALLSTREETLAW :

In terms of your fee, you should ask for it,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and threaten them with a lawsuit,

WALLSTREETLAW :

for a breach of privacy, or even a breach of contract,

Customer: Would it be worth it if I filed what would become of it?
WALLSTREETLAW :

if she signed a contract stating the DNA test would not be disclosed or kep private.

WALLSTREETLAW :

I would consider sending a letter to them, complaining of the matter, and advise them if this is not resolved internally, you will file an HIPPA complaint,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and bring legal action, you could file a small claims court case for the amount as well.

Customer: We always sign the forms when we go to the doctor. I work at an optometrist office and we have everyone sign and we take that serious.
WALLSTREETLAW :

You should review any documents that were signed,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and if it is clear that that the information is private, you can have a lawsuit for the breach, and you should advise them that you will bring legal action if they do not give the money back,

Customer: Ok I appreciate it, thank you...
WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and at this point I would try to speak to them directly, and they should take action, as a HIPPA violation can hurt them,

WALLSTREETLAW :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.

Customer: Ok thank you so much
WALLSTREETLAW :

good luck

WALLSTREETLAW :

You can file the HIPPA complaint at the link above.

WALLSTREETLAW :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive credit.

Customer: Thanks again I just feel real bad for my daughter that's in school! She hates rumors so I just had to ask, before she fights someone she was that mad,
WALLSTREETLAW :

You need to speak to her, and tell her, that the best course of action is to file a complaint against the mother, and that she should not get herself in trouble for this.

Customer: I told her that! She wants to graduate with honors so she's not stupid lol, thank you
WALLSTREETLAW :

That is good,

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck,

WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience: 14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney