Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My business partner and I have a product which is patented.

My business partner and I have a product which is patented. It is a fiberglass reproduction of a 66 ford mustang rear end that we have constructed for a wall hanging display. It has working lights and a stereo sound system. Other than the body, all parts for the display are Ford licensed reproduction parts. Exp: bumpers, taillights, gas caps, etc. Would we be legally required to license this end product with Ford (or any other car company if we make additional models) ?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

This type of reproduction is permissible without any further license. This is no different than you buying Ford parts and selling them to customers who put them on their car for display, no separate license is required and the attorney you spoke with is correct. This does not have to do with time (although patents on parts are good for only 14 years for design patents and 20 for utility patents), since you have paid for the right to use and display the Ford part.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”