Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We are in the process of buying an RV fifth wheel trailer in

Customer Question

We are in the process of buying an RV fifth wheel trailer in Indiana, and have a question about sales tax. The price of the trailer is about $50,000. We currently own a house in Tucson AZ. We will be moving into the fifth wheel and living in it full time for many years. We will not be living in our Tucson house again. We will either be renting the Tucson house or selling it. We would like to establish residence in some other state, but this will take anywhere from a few months to a year. We may be buying a property in another state and building a cement slab for the RV. We plan to buy the trailer mid May 2013, and have 30 days to obtain license and registration. The trailer will have a temporary plate. Since we will not be living in our house in Tucson, do we need to pay the AZ (Tucson) sales tax? Some people use a Montana LLC to buy the trailer but we don't know if that is legal. Can we get a license plate from some other state that has lower sales tax? We are not sure what to do. Thanks.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Many people use Montana for their RV registration to avoid the sales tax. Actually, Montana is pretty much the only one that has no sales tax AND allows a Montana entity to register the vehicle. There are other states with no sales tax ( Alaska, Oregon, Delaware, and New Hampshire) but they all require you be a resident of the state with a drivers license from that state, while Montana states any entity can register the vehicle, which is why so many people use Montana for their RV and it is perfectly legal.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Paul. Thanks for your reply. I want to be sure that I do the right thing here. You're saying it is perfectly legal to have a Montana LLC buy the RV with no sales tax to my current state of residence (Arizona). Does the "perfectly legal" apply from the state of Arizona point of view? In other words, it may be legal from Montana point of view, but will I be safe in Arizona? Take a quick look at the following website, which gives me pause. If you read the article and still believe it is legal, then I will close out the reply and forward the money to JustAnswer.com. Thanks.
Carl

http://www.justanswer.com/law/7qyyc-process-buying-rv-fifth-wheel-trailer.html?al=1&utm_source=sys&utm_medium=email&utm_content=viewya_ln&utm_campaign=answer_notify_ppq&r=ems|2013-05-08|325|ln=viewya_ln

Thank you for your follow up.

I understand you want to do the right thing and do not want to get in trouble. If you are selling your home in Arizona as you said and you form the LLC in Montana to take ownership of the vehicle it is indeed legal in Montana and it has to be recognized in Arizona and every state. If you have an Arizona address and try to do this, no it is not legal, but having a Montana LLC owning the vehicle is indeed legal and permissible.