Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

If a case is being investigated by the District Attorneys

If a case is being investigated by the District Attorney's office, why might someone's private, criminal defense attorney strongly advise their client NOT to get advocacy groups involved in calling the DA's office? The attorney suggests that this might actually serve to annoy the District Attorney and further compel them to push off any potential charges / prosecution. I am looking for a second opinion - does this seem accurate?

Thank you for your question. Please allow me to assist you this morning.

That does sound accurate. Advocacy groups as a general rule tend to annoy and obfuscate matters rather than expose things to light and make things easier for the potential defendant. Plus, they generally care less about the defendant than about publicity and their own message. Unless this becomes a very public and a very vocal case that has not just advocacy groups but the media involved, it is not always wise to get them involved. They are not usually the friends of the defendant, they tend to have their own ulterior motives, and at times having the defendant lose helps that group drive up more funding and more outreach. My apologies on the cynicism but it does happen to be accurate.

Good luck.