Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I own a small business and was served garnishment papers against

I own a small business and was served garnishment papers against one of my employees. Here is the catch of it all. I don\\'t remember getting served anything until I was served a show cause for an appearance that I had missed two previous court dates. Now here is the real kicker, This happened once before with the same judge. The last time we agreed on a settlement figure on the wages that should have been deducted. On this one I owe a lot of money and don\\'t expect a lot of sympathy. Here is the question, my employee has begun bankruptcy proceedings. My understanding of the law is that once bankruptcy has been filed, all garnishment proceedings are stopped immediately and that garnishment wages are returned. Does this get me off hook?

Hi

I am an attorney with more than 25 years experience and I look forward to providing you with information in this regard today?

What is are the wages being garnished for, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A RENTAL PROPERTY THAT A LEASE WAS BROKEN

WE ALSO LAID OFF THE EMPLOYEE AT THE BEGINNING OF 2013

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do need an answer asap.

Hi

I apolgize for the delay but the question was moved inadvertently to another area.

The Answer is yes. He can discharge that judgment in his bankruptcy. So I suggest you will want to bring the court all the information you have about his filing to show the court why you did not garnish the wages.

Again I apologize for the delay in my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am only worried tht I was supposed to be deducting money on the property managment's behalf. From the last week of September until December 31 I was expected to be taking around

Sorry, typing in the dark. Does it seem "funny" that she is declaring bankruptcy directly before the show cause hearing. Is there a chance that I will be held financially responsible for the money that was to have been garnished? I do not want to be in trouble with the courts. And I am nervous that the timing is suspicious.

Hi

No. You should not be responsible for the money. The landlord who has the garnishment will have to get in line so to speak with the bankruptchy court to try to secure the money owed.

Typing in the dark? That's quite good.