LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My granddaughter will be going away for a two year drug treatment

My granddaughter will be going away for a two year drug treatment program. She owes money for a car purchased in the fall of 2012 as well as approximately $10,000 in credit card debit.

Due to the urgency of her leaving within the next week we are seeking advice as to the best way to handle and contact the loan carrier as well as the credit card company.

Nannette Konjevich
5//7/13
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about her situation but glad she is getting help. Would you mind sharing with me if she has any money saved up at this time, which could cover her expenses while she is away? Is this a court ordered drug program?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No she does not have anything in savings. However, she does realize that this decision to leave will affect her credit negatively.

My granddaughter has resigned from her job, in fear that she might loose her nursing license. She is licensed in the state of Illinois.

This is a voluntary program that she has elected to attend since she is very much aware of the help she needs to seek.

Thank you for the additional information. If she fails to pay on the car, they will likely repossess it, sell it and then sue her for the balance owed, which the sale does not cover. She may want to consider speaking with the lender now and seeing if they can work out an agreement to take the car back or she can just surrender it, to at least avoid any additional fees that would be charged to her, for repossessing the car, plus any other late fees and interest. As far as the credit card debts, the companies are not going to stay the collection or proceedings, once the loans go into default and she fails to pay. Just like the lender for the car, they will file suit against her and obtain a judgment, which she will be expected to pay. She can try and speak with them about settling this and place them on notice of what will transpire over the next two years but it is unlikely they will wait and not take any action. She certainly wants to contact them and see if anything can be worked out. To work something out, she is going to have to have money at this time, to reach a settlement. If she has none, the end results will be the lenders suing her and obtaining a judgment against her and then likely going after any assets or wages, once she starts working. As you said above, her credit will be hurt, if she goes into default on the loans and has two judgments entered against her. Her health is the most important thing right now, so if she needs two years of in-patient treatment, that is a priority. Hopefully, the program allows her to work at some point, so she can start earning money, to hopefully settle with them.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. Not a good outcome financially but as you say her life is the priority here. Financial issues can always be taken care of after she has regained control of her life.

I will advise her to notify the credit card company and the car loan carrier.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else. If not, please remember to rate my help with 3, ,4 or 5 faces, if you have not done so already. Thank you and best of luck to her and her recovery.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience: 8+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.