Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.

I have a restraining order on my wife due to domestic violence

Customer Question

I have a restraining order on my wife due to domestic violence charges against herin which she was arrested and charged with battery on a household member. We have been in therapy togetherfor years and she cancelled her appointment. When I came in for mine, the therapist asked about my incarceration. She she my wife threw me in jail. 11years ago she charged me with rape after 6 months of marriage. I was indicted too. She retracted, but it got on the news and a blip on national too, before she retracted.I need to extend the restraining order. does this info help and how do i address the court with it.
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is Andrea and my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service,

I am so sorry to hear you are have problems with your wife and that she has gotten violent with you,

If you are afraid that your wife will continue to cause you bodily harm like the battery which was the basis for the present Restraining Order, then the Judge will extend the Restraining Order. Judges look at any recent incidents involving the violent spouse as a basis to continue a Restraining Order. I am sorry that your wife made false accusations against you and embarrassed you to the world and to all your friends and to people that know you. She slandered your name by making false accusations against you which is basically defamation of character.

As embarrassing as that was, and I am sure it was very embarrassing and also frightening if she told these lies to the police, I do not believe the Judge will take that into consideration in extending the Restraining Order bevause there was no violence involved and basically Restraining Orders are granted to insure the safety of the victimized spouse from the actions of the violent spouse and that was not present in those accusations,

I wish I could give you the Answer you were hoping for, and it would have given me great pleasure to do so, but I have an ethical obligation to give you only correct Answers, so I am respectfully asking that you not hold the law applicable to your situation against me.

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you as "Excellent Service",

Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,