TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

If a child is not on the orginal lease but is over 18 now and

If a child is not on the orginal lease but is over 18 now and is listed on the CO, is she also responsible for back rent? I no longer have a lease with her parents. It has been an oral agreement for the last several years. My rental in in New Jersey. I have filed to evict for past due rent and not keeping house in proper order ie overgrown yard, no batteries in smoke detectors, grease covered stove etc

Thank you for your question.

if the child was not on the lease, then she will not be responsible for back rent. It is only those people that are on the lease that a landlord may hold liable for rent.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Please let me know if you have any further question.

Please also do not forget to rate my answer positively. I'm not paid at all until you do (the website keeps all your money).