Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have access to some extremely powerful software which allows

I have access to some extremely powerful software which allows me to convert and manipulate data in a way not everyone would have access to. So I need to know if accessing the Texas Secretary of States website and compiling a mailing list of potential
customers (specifically the notaries) is illegal. I am aware it is potentially morally improper, but I am burning in H*** already....so just needed to check to see if it is illegal to do my little trick and obtain the information. Of course I already know
the answer.....but just wanted the legal confirmation of it. Thank you.
Hello
I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and look forward to providing you information in this regard.
If you are "hacking" into a website by any means, it is illegal
Here is the Texas Code so you can read the law on your own
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/SOTWDocs/PE/htm/PE.33.htm
It says the following
Sec. 33.02. BREACH OF COMPUTER SECURITY.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly accesses a computer, computer network, or computer system without the effective consent of the owner.
(b) An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class B misdemeanor, except that the offense is a state jail felony if:
(1) the defendant has been previously convicted two or more times of an offense under this chapter; or
(2) the computer, computer network, or computer system is owned by the government or a critical infrastructure facility.
(b-1) A person commits an offense if with the intent to defraud or harm another or alter, damage, or delete property, the person knowingly accesses a computer, computer network, or computer system without the effective consent of the owner.
(b-2) An offense under Subsection (b-1) is:
(1) a state jail felony if the aggregate amount involved is less than $20,000;
(2) a felony of the third degree if the aggregate amount involved is $20,000 or more but less than $100,000;
(3) a felony of the second degree if:
(A) the aggregate amount involved is $100,000 or more but less than $200,000;
(B) the aggregate amount involved is any amount less than $200,000 and the computer, computer network, or computer system is owned by the government or a critical infrastructure facility; or
(C) the actor obtains the identifying information of another by accessing only one computer, computer network, or computer system; or
(4) a felony of the first degree if:
(A) the aggregate amount involved is $200,000 or more; or
(B) the actor obtains the identifying information of another by accessing more than one computer, computer network, or computer system.
(c) When benefits are obtained, a victim is defrauded or harmed, or property is altered, damaged, or deleted in violation of this section, whether or not in a single incident, the conduct may be considered as one offense and the value of the benefits obtained and of the losses incurred because of the fraud, harm, or alteration, damage, or deletion of property may be aggregated in determining the grade of the offense.
(d) A person who is subject to prosecution under this section and any other section of this code may be prosecuted under either or both sections.
(e) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person acted with the intent to facilitate a lawful seizure or search of, or lawful access to, a computer, computer network, or computer system for a legitimate law enforcement purpose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sam...understood...the website is https://xxxxxxxx.xxx....from the SOS website listing all active notaries...i am just able to capture all the names by county quickly and easily when it is displayed by the website...i don't touch any servers ...so i guess i just need to know if that would be considered "hacking" or illegal as i could do it manually...just that Adobe Cloud on Google Chrome captures the results of the website...if this is to confusing...i can just not do it at all...it just would make it easier to contact folks.. Thank you.

Hi
I see. Thanks for the clarification. You made it sound so clandestine
No it is a public website and you can use those names and as long as you are not "hacking" I suggest it is not illegal
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you! I re-read my original...lol...i would have had bank security on the phone if i had gotten an email at work like...thanx...have a good night.
Hi
You're welcome and good luck