Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Marinello Schools of Beauty, admin offices in Southern calif--owes

Customer Question

Marinello Schools of Beauty, admin offices in Southern calif--owes me for 2012 testing services done at their Concord and SF campuses. $1875 at Concord & $2500 at San Fran. Marcus Vanderhoef, A/P refuses to communicate with me on this issue. I want to know where specifically to file small claims--SoCal or each campus, or can i do it from Oakland where I reside? Thanks.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Small Claims court needs to be filed where the defendant resides. They unfortunately cannot be sued in Oakland if they do not have an Oakland address. However, if they have locations in San Francisco and Concord, and you have addresses where they can be served with the suit, the suit could be filed for the full amount they owe in either location. You don't have to go to where the main office is located.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The SF campus owes the larger amount of money, and the Admissions officer there has been less cooperative. The Concord campus person has been extremely helpful, so i hate to sue him, but Concord would be more convenient for me than SF. I'd settle for just the amounts owed if they would pay now. But if i have to tdake legal action should i ask for late charges, etc. Should I have an attorney sue or should i jusdt do small claims court on my own? If SCC, what is the procedure? do i have to file a separate claim in each city?p>

You're not really suing the person at the Concord Campus - the suit is against the school. No matter where you file, if they decide to oppose the suit, someone from each campus will have to appear to testify, unless they have centralized records somewhere.

Small claims court is designed for people who are owed smaller amounts to sue on their own. All of the forms are online, so you don't need to hire a lawyer. Usually, the reason people do this is because the cost of a lawyer is going to usually be more than you're asking for in this situation. All the information you need, plus forms, is on this site.

If you have one contract with the primary school, then you can sue for the total you are owed in either city. if you have separate contracts with each campus, then you would sue each campus separately.