Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I purchased a long term disability plan in my early 20s. I

I purchased a long term disability plan in my early 20's. I am 35 years old and just diagnosed with RA. We are still trying to get the medications right and none of them are relieving symptoms. These medications I am one have severe side affects making it very hard to go into work. (Vomiting etc.) My Doctor refused to sign off on disability forms. What can I do.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Your doctor has a duty to you to assist you in filing for disability if they believe that you cannot work right now in any capacity. If your doctor is refusing to do this, then you need to find another doctor at this point to examine you and concur that you are not able to work and get the new doctor to fill out the insurance forms. Legally, I am afraid you cannot force your current doctor to fill out the forms if she does not want to fill them out, so you have to find a new doctor to do so.

Your alternative is talking to your doctor and trying to make her understand that because of the medication and severity of your RA you are not able to perform the duties required of your job and see if you can convince her to complete the forms.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already did that with her and she ignored me on filling the forms out and told me I am running out of medication options.

Thank you for your reply.

If she refuses to fill out the forms, I am afraid that you have to take them to another doctor and get examined by another doctor to complete them, since doctors are not legally bound to submit these long term disability forms.